Tourism leaders say 2021 is a record-breaking year for summer visitors in Palm Beach County and some local business owners say they're benefitting from the increase in tourists to the area. However, local business owners say some challenges still remain.
Tourism leaders say the number of visitors is greater than 2019, which was a record-breaking year for tourism in Palm Beach County.
Discover the Palm Beaches is a private organization contracted by Palm Beach County as the county's official tourism marketing organization. The organization provided the following information about summer tourism numbers in Palm Beach County this year:
- "In Palm Beach County, both July and August tourism numbers are on par with 2019, a record year for visitation in the destination.
- "July tracked at 68% occupancy and preliminary August numbers are currently tracking at 60%.
- "Numbers typically drop in late August and September across the U.S. as schools are back in session.
- "The Palm Beaches continues to keep health and safety as its top priority, implementing the highest safety protocols like a destination-wide GBAC STAR™ accreditation program in places like PBI, the Convention Center and area hotels and attractions.
- "According to Destination Analysts, over 72% of American travelers are fully vaccinated.
- "Showing their commitment to travel, 80% of American travelers currently have trip plans."